View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool c 1900?

Ok, with that re-finish job it looks kind of new. The Gears if original to that bass are probably early 20th century.

Combining the new finish (whatever that shiny stuff is), Top repairs and furniture-like jointed pegbox repair in the Back, I would say this bass is a hard sell for anyone who knows his basses. Couple that with the extra long string length) anything over 42" is long today), makes this an even harder bass to sell.

Now, as far as the reference to Morelli, that is a label/brand, not a maker. The same shop could have made basses for a dozen other brands along the way.

The best ID you have there is that Purfling in the Back and looks to me early-mid 20th Century Germanic, Wilfer shop style. Perhaps made between the two great wars if not after.

Concerning re-finish, anyone who strips a bass from its original varnish is taking away some of its original history. Touch up, match up and re-coat with clear or light color if need be but NEVER strip anything original unless it's 100% unavoidable. Most times, it's the easy way out for the repairman, and I choose that word for them over restorer because restoring should leave the bass as original as possible. If this bass is a c.1925-1935 bass, I see no evidence of it other then the scroll IF original without looking inside the bass. Removing originality removes value as well so keep that in mind for the future.

Check with these 25% dealers that sell basses and see what they think they can sell it for. A friend of mine sent a bass to one of the shops to sell a Few Years ago and it is still un-sold. It was a bass like this in all original condition and selling in the mid-high teens. Still, no sale to date. Add in your bass's condition and that's what you will compete with on the rack or on your own. Over 42" string length cuts out at least 90% of potential buyers. I have sold only one bass that was over 42" in recent and just slightly and it was that Morelli you just referenced. It had a full high grade restoration as shown about a year before it was sold.