View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 02:38 AM
Junior Posting Member

Dave Irwin is on a distinguished road
Default franz

Thanks Adam & Ken.
My description of the sound probably won't do it justice and we're still getting acquainted but IMO, it has a pretty open/big sound considering it'ts fairly small body. There was a reputable player in the shop when I picked her up that made the same observation. I really enjoyed hearing him play it.

The D and G are stronger but It produces a pretty solid E, again good for it'ts size. I am working through a set up issue affecting the A. Under more brutal pizz, the A bottoms out a little slapping against the FB. The FB doesn't have too much left so I'm a little torn about another planing but will be having it worked on.
Under the bow, there is no issue. It seems to speak well all over.
I'm coming from a Shen Willow, which I consider to be very resonant. This bass matches that but sounds much darker and woodier as would be expected.

It currently has old Belcantos on A-G and maybe a Corelli on the E. not sure.
Will be switching out to some Evah's orchs I have. I might try to get some Evah weichs cause I'm not sure it takes that much to pull sound out of this bass.

There is a bit of a wolf just north of G#, pretty out of the way.

So far I'm very happy. I wish I could find some pics of other basses from the maker but I guess the mystery will have to persist.

Thanks again for looking.

Dave