View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow also..

I have a few other basses in restoration yet to be tried for personal comfort as well as post-restoration tone and capability. One bass in particular is a Gamba shaped Italian, probably from Naples, early-mid 19th century.

When reaching around to play, I judge it more from the back and sides than from the top although the arch or the top combined with the back if round and of course the neck set and angle sets the Girth of the bass in which to reach and play with the Bow. I actually measure these things 'dry' as well as with my hands on the bass to see which has more measured reach/girth as compared to one another.

The upper bouts of the Italian was cut a long time ago from a broader outline. Have a look and tell me what you think.

Here are the main measurements that to me matter the most;

.................Mittenwald ............ Neapolitan

Upper Bout: 21 1/4" ............... 19 7/8"

Rib depth: 8 1/4" to 6 1/4"nk ..... 8 1/2" to 7 7/8"nk

St.Length: 41 3/4 ................... 41 1/2"
------------------------------------------------------------
Secondary measurements of less importance for feel;

Top Length: 44" ..................... 44 3/4"

Center Bout: 14 3/4" ............... 14"

Lower Bout: 28" ..................... 27"
------------------------------------------------------------
The Italian is slightly smaller in 2 of 3 areas in each list. The Italian is bigger however in Rib depth and Body length. The Rib depth and Body length might add to the sound but it also adds to the girth to reach around. Also, being wider at the Neck is not always a plus concerning playability. The German has slightly more arch in the Top over the Italian so that might balance out the slight difference in Rib depth.

I will not know how the Italian bass feels in comparison until it comes out of restoration and is fully set-up. I did play it briefly a few years ago just before it went into repair. It seemed to have promise despite the rough life it had prior, partially at the hands of bad and amateur repair peoples. All this will get corrected less some cosmetic things that can only be suppressed but not erased.

Personally, I don't care as much about the looks of a bass I play out as much as I do the sound and feel. If this Italian comes out as predicted, it could easily replace both the Hart and Neuner basses which is just fine with me.