View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jacob Hand is on a distinguished road
Default Old three-stringer

I am not sure if this is the right Forum to post this. I've heard three different possibilities as to the origins of this instrument.

I am writing to find out about this bass I own- and if it is worth restoring. I am mostly a self-taught jazz player, not a classical or chamber player.

I would love to get this restored for posterity, and because I am really curious in what it may sound like. I hate to see something like this sitting unused.

I've taken it to several luthiers in the Midwest, and have been told by several people that it might be from the 1780-1840s, possibly from the Southern Austria or Northern Italy region. One luthier thought it might be a church bass or Prescott bass, but it doesn't look like any I've seen. And yet another thought it was a 1/2 size bass made for a child in the 19th century. I've even heard bassetto.

There are no markings inside or out. I was sold this from an auctioneer.

My issue, other than the mystery, is that this instrument is kind of small for me, I'm 6'3" with big hands. The instrument is 60" in full height (not including the chair-leg post), and has a rough scale length of 33-34".

And, if I did get it all set up (which would take some months and a lot of money), and I found I didn't use it or found it too hard to play, would I be able to sell it for what I put into it? I'm very curious to hear how it sounds, but if it's too weird to play in Viennese tuning, what the two luthiers think it was tuned in, is there someone out there who might be interested in it?

Initially, I'd think I'd restore it as a three-string just to try to maintain the integrity before I go changing it. I play roots music and a little jazz, and am not classically trained. Although I thought putting some gut strings on it and playing some "wolfy" Tom Waits-y kind of stuff with it, or putting steel strings and maybe play some variation on some Ron Carter piccolo bass. Maybe tuned in 5ths or something.

Does anyone know any Baroque or chamber instrument groups or forums or someone who might be interested in this?

I also saw this link- and they look similar.

I did post this on the Talk Bass Forum, as well.

More photos to come.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	3string-full.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	2379

Click image for larger version

Name:	3string-back-full.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2380