View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Junior Posting Member

Dave Irwin is on a distinguished road
Default 48

Ken, the 48 is the house number at the end of the address line. I saw the label in a book as well. Maybe the same book. I think it was printed in the 20's or 30's.
I see what you mean about the brand. Looks like I'm busted. Oh well, I paid 20th century $ for it so it's ok. The ebay bass better not be authentic. At $4,600, that would really suck.
I had contact with a player in the Austrian Philharmonic and he said his teacher had a Feilnreiter. I couldn't get any pics though.

BTW, what was the period when basses typically got the raised trim/strips on the sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The actual label in the book is not dated, only numbered. Not all makers dated their labels. It looks obvious that both labels have been doctored up or lost a bit when they were copied from the book.

If #48 is 1864, then why would #43 be 1865? I am sure they are both #48, copied from the same book. Both faked duped labels. Neither bass has any relation to those labels, but century or country.

The Jalovec Books came out around 1960 or so. The basses might or might not be older.

Last edited by Dave Irwin; 07-24-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: had to eat some crow