View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Irwin View Post
Sorry, I totally misunderstood about the picture from the book. I see the pic from my seller's photo album. Still confused about the absence of the brand in that pic.

Anyway, regarding the outside linings, is you point that would have to be older than the label indicates to have them? Or that they indicate my bass is older than 20th century?

I'm very happy with the bass so that or even the value is the issue. I'm just interested in solving the mystery of it. My only interest in the ebay bass was to compare notes. Ofcourse if it is not authentic, I know the odds are mine isn't either.

Anyway, thanks for your time in reviewing!
The outside linings and the roundback to me point more to a Bass made either in Germany or the Czech/German border area, not Viennese. Other features are the Top and Back overhang past the Rib Linings. That in itself is very Germanic as well. Viennese and Prague bass almost all have the Ribs without outer linings Flush with the Top and Back plates.

I have an old German(?) bass in restoration right now that is equally confusing to me as your new/old bass is to you. Mine has a round back and outer linings but, the Top and Back plates are flush with the Linings, No overhang. The position of the Purfling on both plates tell me that this is all original. Also, it has slanted F-holes and a killer old Lionhead. We are stumped by its age and origin. So, old basses are often hard to pinpoint what they are unless we have other identical basses that are confirmed to be whatever. I would have a hard time believing this bass of yours is from Vienna. If it is/was, then he made German-like roundback basses which again, doesn't add up.

All of the old confirmed Viennese basses that I have seen have flat backs with angle breaks and mostly flush ribs without outer linings. The Scrolls are often with pointed cheeks and the pegbox rounded under the button area. The FFs are also quite different as well. So, until I see a confirmed Feilnreiter bass by Franz or one of the other 4 members of his family (yes, 5 of them that I found), then I think my hunch is correct, for now!