View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cahill View Post
Markneukirchen to Arnold
Seeing pictures of your bass now, the one Arnold had awhile back, I notice it has outer linings. The other two basses do not have those linings but everything else matches up. Assuming those outer linings are original and I don't see and indication to the contrary, you can rule out the French origin.

I have never seen a single confirmed French bass with outer linings. Those linings are the most common features that disprove French origin attributes. The most common basses with outer linings are German. A few basses from England and even more rare from Italy have popped up with outer linings. Sometimes, added during a restoration. But, this bass has nothing to do with English or Italian work.

Arnold has seen the bass and I would think he looked inside as well. Markneukirchen is in Saxony, a region on the Czech/Bohemian border. Several other towns in Saxony are also famed for violin making. When I included Germany as a possible origin, Saxony was in my thoughts but not exclusively. Mainly because this bass looks too original in design to be associated with the trade instruments made in that area but seeing those linings now on this particular bass above, I will say that Germany is most likely where it was made.

Sometimes you see a single feature and then, the fog clears up and you can see clearly.