Thread: Videos?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 04:10 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation video over playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Schwartz View Post
I am interested in a bass being sold by a dealer on the east coast (I am in L.A.). He will send it for evaluation if I pay shipping.
My teacher suggested that, before gambling the shipping costs, I should request a video demo of the bass.
What are your experiences with and opinions on online bass demo videos? Lemur Music does them for most of their instruments and, while I enjoy the sections describing the instruments' backgrounds, materials, workmanship, etc, the playing demonstrations can't really capture the sound or feel.
Your thoughts?
First off, I am not the dealer being that I am out East so I want to let that be known to the readers.

Second, if you don't mind telling me, what type of bass is this and the estimated price range?

Third, I doubt you can tell much from a video. How it sounds on a recording is little indication how it will sound in person. Most importantly, how it feels in your hands. Even if it sounds good to your ears on a tape, what set-up or restoration work does it need or how well are the older repairs done? Does anything need to be re-repaired or have the repairs been done in the best manner of if left alone do they de-value the bass? A video can't tell you that.

Also, thinner sounding basses record best or rather a thinner signal does. Putting thru a full thick fundamental note might distort the average speakers.