View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Posting Member

Joshua Phelps is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Smith basses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
In the beginning (KSB), I was still gigging for a living. I had this small amp on stage for this gig and a Smith bass in hand. One of the guys in the band came over and said "wow, that sounds great. What amp is that?" .. I said, "it's not the amp, it's the bass". He looked at me like I was crazy. This is what I went thru in the beginning. Clueless people around me that had no idea a bass itself could be made and sound better.
I agree 100%. Smith basses are works of art in every way even to sit & look at but just like our uprights at the end of the day these are the tools for our trade & the best ones in the business in my opinion & I bring these basses because they sound the best & that's what matters. I'm sure some guys do buy certain basses to wow people but I will never understand that. The beautiful presentation of smith basses is just a bonus to me. Having a smith as a collectors piece is ok I guess but it seems like putting a tiger in a cage (no pun intended) & these basses are built to be played.