Thread: Opinion
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chuck Laranjeira is on a distinguished road
Default Opinion

Ok so I went to check it out in person.
I'm a newbie to upright so take my opinion for what it's worth - I think this is a really nice bass. Loud and pleasant tone under bow and pizz. A few hairline cracks but closed and not unusual. The neck pictures are before and after - the repair looks very nicely done as do the neck, tail and other repairs. Also spoke with Jed (great guy to talk to) who confirmed the history and general condition. Michael the owner is a straight up guy and willing to have it checked out by a luthier. Also seemed genuinely interested in assuring the bass was a good fit for me - which ultimately is the reason I did not buy it on the spot. This bass has a chunky neck which as a beginner intimidates me. I'm on the fence if I want to invest the time effort and money in learning upright - it's definitely a BIG change from electric. As for this bass I think it would be a great entry level bass for a younger player serious about lessons and bow. I want to thank Ken, Michael and Jed all great folks whose advice and time I really appreciate!