View Single Post
Old 04-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Case View Post
My end pin has loosened over time. There is no rattling, but every once in a while if I don't tighten the screw on the center of the notch the pin will shift down while playing. I used to fit really nice and I was able to feel when I got to the notch and tighten and forget it, but now it's not like that. Does this require a new end pin if I want to fix it?
This is a fairly common problem with Gotz and ULSA endpins. The cork wears or compresses. I remember talking about this with David Wilson at Hammond Ashley a few years ago. He said he had a box full of old endpins that were in good shape except for the cork. As far as I've been able to determine, no one sells replacement cork inserts for the endpins. I've tried making my own from sheet cork and even wine bottle corks. They worked well enough to eliminate rattles, but I could never get back the original feel you are wanting. Unless you can find a source for the cork inserts and have the facilities for installing it, a new endpin may be your only choice available.