View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Cocobolo, Maple, and Walnut are probably my favorite combinations of woods used in a bass.

Among others, I have a 5EG: Cocobolo Top and Back, Tiger Maple Lams, and Walnut core. A BMT6 7&7: Cocobolo Top and Back, Tiger Maple and Walnut Lams, with Tiger Maple Core. Without hesitation, I would say these are my favorite wood combo's of all my Smiths.

The wait will be worth it, I promise!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Ronson, I'm sorry, where did you see the words "entry-level" written in my post, or any of my posts for that matter? The $'s you spend are relative to the model purchased.

One day when you spend a few more $'s on a neck-thru (and I suspect you will......remember, I'm first in line in your Will......), you will better understand where I am coming from. In the mean-time, enjoy what you have (as I'm sure you will... ) because $ for $ there's nothing better on the market!

No, Tim. You didn't post it - Willie did, and you responded to that particular post!

And while I agree with you in general, I have to take the position that the neck-through basses have a "different" and specialized timbre and tonal feel, but not necessarily different to the point that distinguishes a bolt-on instrument as an "entry-level" instrument (Willie's description, not yours).

In fact, for the sake of friendly argument, it may be a safe assumption to say that there might be some folks out there who - dare I say it - prefer the sound of a bolt-on Ken Smith to a neck-thru, for whatever reason (now, you KNOW I don't know from personal experience yet, but...)

For Example: There could be some distinct tonal qualities in a BSR Pro Series Bass (bolt-on with graphite inlaid bars) that really is desirable with some player, no?