View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig Gregory View Post
Ken,

I have wondered for years why Ken Smith Basses (that I have played) are heavier than other basses with the same amount of strings. When you look at the body and the body shape, usually the Ken Smith is thinner and the shape is similar if not smaller to other high quality basses. I understand that Cocobolo and Ebony are heavier than ash and alder, but a 5 or 6 string smiths is usually 10-12 lbs, while a MTD, Fodera, or Pre-Gibson Tobias will weigh between 8.5-10 lbs. Is it all wood species, or is there a belief that heavier woods of the same species, make better tone woods?

To me an 10 lbs bass is comfortable, while an 11+ lb bass needs to be used in a rotation when performing longer sets.

Is there quality in weight quantity?

Kraig

Kraig, I would suspect part of the difference may be in a % of retained moisture in the wood itself and the type of finish applied. As far as "quality in weight quantity".....I am a big fan of Cocobolo and Ebony. IMO these are among THE BEST sounding woods used and just happen to be the heavier, however, I have used other woods not as heavy but sound very close or in some cases as good as the heavier woods.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, if the bass feels great in my hands, plays and sounds great, and it's a bit on the "heavy side", ask me if I care.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 04-20-2007 at 02:51 PM.