View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Heavy vs Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig Gregory View Post
Ken,

I have wondered for years why Ken Smith Basses (that I have played) are heavier than other basses with the same amount of strings. When you look at the body and the body shape, usually the Ken Smith is thinner and the shape is similar if not smaller to other high quality basses. I understand that Cocobolo and Ebony are heavier than ash and alder, but a 5 or 6 string smiths is usually 10-12 lbs, while a MTD, Fodera, or Pre-Gibson Tobias will weigh between 8.5-10 lbs. Is it all wood species, or is there a belief that heavier woods of the same species, make better tone woods?

To me an 10 lbs bass is comfortable, while an 11+ lb bass needs to be used in a rotation when performing longer sets.

Is there quality in weight quantity?

Kraig
Kraig, Understandably all bass players have different needs, but given the choice, Id rather have a heavy Ken Smith Bass, then to settle for a high priced bass that just doesn't give me the tone, range, and superb craftsmanship that's a given with Kens' creations. If the bass is too heavy buy a musicians stool.