View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool set-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clinkingbeard View Post
You're not saying that a player should make the best of a fingerboard radius or scoop that doesn't quite fit their preference are you?

I would think that assuming the neck is set correctly, a properly planed fingerboard would be the first step. No?
I am saying that the Bass can only be set-up as good as the Bass is Neck wise etc. Fingerboard planing or replacing is a bit more than a set-up. I regard set-up as nut, bridge height etc. FB planing etc, is more of a repair to me to correct movement in the neck OR undesired cambering from a previous luthier. Sometimes it is just not how you want it.

I got this on Bass from the UK and it looked like it was adjusted for King Kong. The dealer said it was a standard London Orchestra set-up. I have to have the FB re-cambered, cut a new nut 1mm closer spaced per string, lower the strings and re-cut the bridge arch as well as move them closer 1mm just to play it and not be in pain.

That to me a a bit more than just a set-up but more common than you would think when Basses change hands. Just my opinion here.

Neck sets are often not optimum for playing from what I have seen. Ask Arnold and Jeff how often they re-set a Neck and the percentage of Basses that can and have benefited from this whether it was actually done or not.