View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Junior Posting Member

Johnny Layton is on a distinguished road

Hello Mr. Smith,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Have you measured the diameter of all these various Strings? To me, the difference is much smaller than the Bow movement and the arch of the Bridge is the most important for me with this issue. I have used over a dozen combinations and brands and see no difference in crossing as long as the string bows well.
Measured them? Nah. But the Corelli 370Ms are smaller in diameter than gut and most other metal strings as I can see. I don't know why I find it interesting...maybe because it's something for me to notice.

Quote:
What kind of Bass and Bow grade wise are you using and what is your Bow/Classical training background or level of playing with the Bow?
I'm playing a notably low-cost Romanian bass I bought from Mark Rubin's shop. My bow is a German bow it's a wood one...the best I can afford. I like it a whole lot. Oh yeah, and I've had some lessons from professional bassists and I've been learning to play for about 5 years now. It's been a blast!

Quote:
Trying to fix something with a String is not the way to go when it's a technique. What one pro likes another may hate. I have seen some great players cross strings with ease in fast passages with nothing special altered in the string department.
That's good advice thanks! Yeah, my technique is definitely not the best in show and I don't recommend anybody think of me as a guru or hero unless they want to drop the bar a couple of notches (give or take a couple of notches...in the dropping direction). I still practice as much as I can and I still have to work on intonation real hard...among shifts, positions, bowings, etc. I'm nowhere near where I can take anything, technically, for granted. It's likely I'll never be able to take those things for granted *sigh*

Quote:
Wanna talk about Gut type/Gut core strings? Ok, but have someone tune the Bass as you are playing because they don't stay in tune for long. This is why Gut is OUT and Steel/Metal is IN! A few 'die-hards' out there still mess with this but it's a minority, trust me.
Nah gut's too expensive and too temperamental for my tastes. I agree with you. However, I did see a chamber group playing at St. Martin in the Fields last year, all gut, all period...they sounded great with great intonation etc...but it's definitely not for me at my stage in the bass game. I just brought up gut because, well, gut's fat and Corellis are, well, skinny.

Quote:
For instance, the written Cadenza in the Dragonetti Concerto. It crosses 3 strings fast as lightening playing various triplet lines. The 2nd and 4th movement of Beethoven's 9th, moves like a shooting star with crossing strings. What do I play it with string wise? Who cares, whatever string I like that day on that Bass. It has zip to do with the strings as long as the Bass has fairly even tensioned Strings, proper shaped Fingerboard/Bridge match, you have a decent Bass that responds well, a good Bow and the technique to pull off the Job both right and left hands. There is no quick fix here as far as a String goes that will short cut years of practice and training with an Orchestral professional.
No doubts here I promise you, Mr. Smith. Those string crossings sound so cool, especially when the bow jumps and it's all staccato-ey and such...a really exciting sound!

Just wanted to talk about strings is all...in the string forum section...Thanks!