Thread: Juzek question
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
Didn't get the fellow's name but I got the feeling he was an owner. Why contact them? Just to get some info or pics to compare the two "Juzek" basses.
The one listed above is a plywood model by the Lang firm most likely or similar. Wilfer made most of the carved basses for Juzek but I do not doubt for a minute that they may have or actually did contract other individual workers or shops to supply other models as needed to fill export orders. Not every Bass bearing a Juzek label actually went thru the Juzek warehouse in NY. Dealers often have put Juzek labels on other Germanic type Basses just to give it a name. Still, NONE of these are actually made by Juzek. At best, most of them were purchased and imported by them and Labeled here in USA before they sold them.

I have heard of several Flatback Juzeks that might date before or after wwII sometime but have not personally seen one. It does sound logical that they might have bought some to fill lower budgeted orders and as I stated here as well, the label could have been put in a flatback just to have something to call it or inflate the price if one would believe it helps at all money-wise.