View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Ken, it is amazing the similarity in the color of varnish and degree of flame in the maple and the orientation as well. I'm tempted to see if we can pursuade Anselm to inquire (I do not know the language well) to find out which maker at the Pollmann shop built the violone. The shop owner speaks of him as "Pollmann" which he pronounces "Pellman". He told me an interesting story that for his privacy's sake, as well as brevity, I will not repeat. But it makes me think this was an elder maker actually named Pollmann, and not Krahmer. It's a hunch, I'm not certain. I just don't know much about the specific makers. Seems I saw something in a Lemur catalog but I don't think I still have that.

What you tell explains why your Pollmann impressed me at first as being somewhat more delicate in design that most Pollmann basses I've seen. The Alexandria model is quite delicate, but most while beautiful are a bit on the bold or masculine side design wise. Yours is very light and elegant looking. I'm still amazed me at the consistency of the varnish and flaming. But these were built about the same time so I suppose the maple stock may have been the same. If we cropped the photos to just the join line and the flame, these could pass for the same back.