View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road
Default Endpin hole- not centered

While we're on this subject of endpin holes;

The endpin hole on my old Prescott (1820's) bass is not centered in the ribs between the top and back. It is closer to the top. The ribs on this bass are very deep so eventhough the endpin is placed only about 40% from the top to the back (instead of 50% dead center) the distance from the center of the endpin hole to the top is probably similar to most basses. I've never taken any measurements to compare that distance to my other basses. It seems as though the instrument was made this way for there are no signs of plugging the hole although there are some strips of wide linings along the rib seams at the very bottom that could be hiding the old hole, but they seem very old and to my eye are original to the construction of the bass.

Theoretically does this make much of a difference for sound and playability? This bass's playability and sound has always been great even w/ it's less than perfect neck alignment and even when the sound post has been out of position or loose so I'm not inclined to do anything about this, but I'm curious.

I would think that if the tailpiece wire were too short because of this that it may negatively affect the instrument, but if it is of average length from endpin to saddle and/or total length from endpin to tailpiece, would this off center position make any difference?

I'll try to post pics and measurements of this when I get a chance.

You can see the bass here: http://www.thetalkbasses.com/

THANKS for any opinions.

BG