View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Maker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Plummer View Post
Please bear with me, I'm a DB neophyte.

So it's likely that this is a wifler/juzek. Yah the luthier wasn't sure it was a Pfretzschner either. Interesting..
Do you suppose that the label (added by the importer) could be a violin, viola or cello label?

Whatever the maker, I think I happened on to a good instrument, the luthier was enthusiastic about it. He said, "It'll be better than you, or me for that matter."
I would feel safer calling it a Wilfer (maybe made for Juzek, not sure). I understand you are new but even people playing 10, 20, 30 years still don't know this stuff about the makers and labels and the funny business. I don't know how it got the Label. Could be any reason listed including the Importer bought this or more basses from Germany and put the Pfretzschner lable in it because Juzek is a trade mark of Metropolitan Music (the Juzek family) and also because no one knew who Wilfer was then as his name was never marketed here. That's the key work here with the names, Marketing!

Some of these shop basses regardless of the label are very good basses indeed. Not necessarily professional orchestra quality but good for most other things professionally or otherwise.

Hey, I took one in on trade towards an Italian Bass, put almost 10k into the restoration and then sold it after a few concerts. It was good enough to buy(take in on trade), good enough to use in Orchestra and good enough to sell after all was said and done. The list of work done was huge but the results were worth every penny spent. I would do it again if the right Bass/deal came along. Actually, I just purchased an early 20th century French Bass not far off from the quality of an early Pfretzschner or Wilfer so that at least shows I practice what I preach, no?

Fix the Bass, play the Bass and enjoy the Bass. That's what I will suggest at this point.