View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool News Flash...

As of yesterday, I no longer have my 5-string as I just sold it. I posted this on the 5-string thread as well about selling the Bass.

I have been working on the Storm passage using any of 4 Basses with an Extension. The Gilkes, Martini, Bisiach and a Lott I had here for awhile while the Gilkes was out on loan. One thing for sure is that you must learn the part slowly and an octave up as well to better understand the notes. Hearing them played accurately helps the concept in your mind when playing them on the extension which can be very difficult to play accurately.

I was at the Kimmel one day and talking Bass with Duane Rosengard when he played on a regular 4-string the parts in the Storm but at a slow speed as we discussed the notes. He mentioned that you have to be able to play it slowly or you wont be able to play it at all. He was so right as the first thing I did was slow it down and play it in both octaves on both the 5er and the Ext. Basses.

Now that I am putting some time in with the Ext. and know which Bass I am going to play from now on, it is starting to come together. Rehearsals start in about a month. We only have 4 rehearsals within 10 days (3 hours each) so I have to work on things here way in advance to be prepared.

At this writing I am planning on using my Martini for this concert. The Gilkes might be sold by then so I am not even thinking of playing it now. Both my Hart Bass and the Mystery Bass are at least two months or more from their restorations being completed. Also, I am not even sure which Bow I will use. Since my Bass sounds good with several of my Bows I will choose the Bow that feels better in my hands rather than the one that sounds better on the Bass. Comfort and fatigue are more of a concern to me than an extra ounce of volume or depth. The Martini has plenty of tone and volume so getting 90% of the Bass with comfort is better than 100% with pain!

Thanks for listening. Comments are always welcomed as well as further discussion..