View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Hummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Ken, I'm not so sure that isn't a French-made bass. To me, the only real clash is the outside linings. You do occasionally see those on a French-made Hawkes. Have you looked at the internal lining and block work? I wonder if that might have been a special order for someone who wanted outside linings to prevent open seams...?
All this is possible but I have seen many German Basses like this but not exactly. The Varnish looks typical German to me. Many Hawkes Basses were also made in Germany and probably most of them! The inner linings look normal sized and German as do the blocks. the Top thickness is not overly thick like on French Basses and the archings of the Top and Back are quite proud and not flattish like on many French Basses. The Top is close to 2" and the Back maybe 2" or more in the arching with a rough measurement. The width and Depth/height of the outer linings/moldings are quite typical for Germany in that period pre-1900. This Bass also has screw hole scars from Plate-type gears which I have never seen on any French Bass.

When you make your next visit 'Maestro', you can examine it in person and confirm which country produced it. I think this is at least as nice in sound as any French Bass of a similar model, condition and age.

My opinion is a combination of deduction (Sherlock style) and previous experience. I welcome all and any other opinions regardless of previous experience. Either way, this is one well made Bass.