Thread: Set up/pick ups
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Bridge P/U Adjustment?

I've personally never experienced this and this is the first time I've heard something like this (which doesn't mean anything), however, maybe it's a matter of technique or the distinct differences in bass design. For the sake of my reply, I will assume by "digging in" you mean getting under the strings?

A couple of things:

1. Maybe your Bridge P/U height is set too high? Whether you have a light touch or not, and given the appropriate technique of playing at the Bridge P/U (i.e. not overly aggressive), I can't imagine how you would have a problem with this, unless of course, the P/U's are set too high (i.e. too close to your strings) for your playing style.

2. I would also agree, if you've grown accustomed to playing another bass with a different feel, you most likely would need an "adjustment period" (i.e. time to adjust to a different bass). An "adjustment period" would apply to ANY bass different in design from that which one has grown accustomed.

3. You should have reasonable, ample range to adjust the P/U height on your Smith (up or down) on either P/U accordingly.

When I play anywhere on TOP of the Smith Bridge P/U, the tips of my fingers are only grazing the top half or tops of the strings (depending on the sound I am trying to get). If I feel the need to dig in, I usually do so anywhere from the leading edge (i.e. neck-side) of the Bridge P/U towards the EOF (i.e. end of fretboard).

I would consider myself a dynamic player as far as technique is concerned. In other words, depending on what the tune demands, I may play with a light touch; I may play with MUCH aggression, or, somewhere in-between. I find that Smith Basses provide great flexibility: With the Smith Control's and EQ, I can dial in anything, no matter what my technique-of-the-moment may be; I'll adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 01-02-2008 at 05:29 PM.