View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Nice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke View Post
three more pics
Beautiful Bass by the way. Also, besides this Bass with the unusual Peg stringing order it was the French that in the 19th century placed the lower pitched E and A gears above the higher pitched G and D gears.

I did this to the Martini myself to lengthen the E and A string. When the Extension was put on, the inner throat area of the peg box had to be notched because of the Gear being so high up on the Scroll was touching. Now, instead of doing that, I just switch the strings between the A and E as it would happen with an Ext.

Here are some examples. The first is the Martini followed by a French Bass, then also a Pollmann, a Bass modded by Alfred Meyer and my 5er.

All of the Basses with reversed 'tuners' have the lowest string on the normal peg but one position higher. It is the Basses with normal placed tuners that this extended E stringing benefits the most as well as the French method.

As you can see in this picture or the martini, even the A is up higher with the French tuner positions. Maybe this is the best overall method!