View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Moss View Post
Then the re-finish was presumably part of the major restoration in the mid-90s, commissioned by the previous owner when he acquired the bass.
Restoration show mean restore, not alter. Old varnishes show be touched up, matched and clear coated at the most. Only in extreme cases of paint or damage should an old Bass be refinished.

Quote:
Do you mean unusual for Bohemia, or unusual for the entire German/Bohemian school?
Yes, the entire region. Quartered Maple is what we usually see from that region.

Quote:
Yes, very interesting - Markneukirchen was also my bass teacher's guess. There's a similar design on this one as well. Was this teardrop shape a Pfretzschner exclusive, or did other makers copy it?
The link you show is the same shop (I think) that made the Bass I showed which was an early import as well and labeled Morelli here in USA. I have seen various designs and No, they are not always the same shop unless it is identical in size and design. Even then, it could have been farmed out.[/quote]

I see the Tear Drop/Plum design on Imports labeled Morelli and G.A. Pfretzschner. G.A. was a famous Bow maker. C.F. was the family of 3 generations than made Violins thru Basses and the only non-Bow makers of the Pfretzschenrs. Most Basses by the last generation I would assume.

Other similar shaper Tear Drop designs are just a design but not necessarily a shop Bass. The same goes for the Horn/Crest design we have seen on all the Wilfer Bass, the Wilfer made Juzek imports, the Plywood made Lang/Juzek imports, Roth Basses, Hoffner Basses and other Bohemian Basses made way before Juzek or Wilfer like this Bass of mine.