View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
If this is the best ever then maybe you should try some old Italian and English Basses. Those are the best I have ever played. My Storioni is the overall best to date so if this guy can make a new Bass that sounds better than that, then I will be calling him yesterday.

Your Bass looks nice by the way. My cut Loveri is not too far off from your bass. Upper and Lower bouts are 19 1/4" and 27". The Top to the tip is 44 1/2" and the Back over the button is 46". It too is a great sounding Bass but, it doesn't compete with the likes of a Storioni or some other master grade Italian or English orchestral Bass.
I'm only a student so I've never had the opportunity to play a "great master" bass, all I'm saying is that for a modern instrument (which I'm lucky to have a lot of experience playing on) this one to me sounds the best. I'm not doubting that a seasoned english or italian orchestral bass will sound better. I just don't think people should write off a bass with more progressive dimensions that cater towards the players body.