View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow Old Neapolitan..

Ok, I just strung her up a short while ago. I didn't' have any old strings lying around so I put on a new set of Eurosonic Orchestra Lights (ones that I helped develop).

First off, the Fingerboard is poop. Some stupid wood from the Amazon and humped on the neck so it buzzes all over and dives down to the Top so the action is whacked.

The Bridge barely sits well on the Top and is warped way towards the strings as well as shortening the String length quite a bit.

In Shipping the Neck/Scroll/Pegbox was broken in the Graft area so I 2-toned it with some Epoxy overnight just to see If I could do a quick set-up and get a taste of what she has.

The Bass Bows very smooth and the E has great power. The upper notes are fair but hey, you can sort mail thru all these cracks that are open in the Back as well as seams, Ribs and the Top of course.

So, what does this Bass need? Well, what doesn't it need? I think this Bass will be in service in 2-3 years from now and need 2-3 years more to break back in. In the mean time, I think it has a nice low end spread and feels like a 200 year old Orchestra Bass. The sound is wide and quite warm ,just not tons of power now probably because of the 50 places the air is leaking from. Despite all this, the sound is quite focussed as well.