View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up new Gamba examined..

I went out to Jeff Bollbach's yesterday to bring home my Storioni for some concerts as the restoration is currently on hold. Jeff suggested I bring along the new Gamba I just got in to have a good look inside the Bass.

As soon as we put the Bass up on the bench, he commented something like 'this is nothing 'but' Italian from what I can see' (as a few people looking at pics suspected Czech). Looking inside the Bass it was obvious by oxidation that the Bass was at least 150 years old if not older (c.1850 or before). In comparing the FFs he commented how similar they are to Loveri but also that they are only similar and not Loveri's hand (Jeff has worked on several Loveri Basses). Hence, this Bass is not by Loveri and older as well. Jeff also examined the Scroll and said the open back is original (like a Loveri he has worked on) as well as original to the Bass. With the exception to the slight shoulder cut, the Bass is all original.

So, now that I know what it's not, we may never know who the actual maker is. At least I know now that it's a Gagliano School Bass just like Loveri is. That's a good start even if it's all we even find out.