View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Inspection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Maneri View Post
Fine by me.

What was the resolution of the inspection of the interior? Was it's German origin clearer from that?
I think this is clearly German Work but at its highest degree for the period in which this Bass was made.

I have seen many many French looking German Basses but I can't say I have seen the opposite. It seems that the French may have been just a bit too proud or maybe individualistic to have wanted to make anything that looked remotely German. In the case of the 'Hawkes copies the only ones that I would believe to be French are those that look French. The ones that have the outer Rib linings/moldings to me look 100% German. That doesn't mean that by contract they couldn't have had some French Shop make them but why would you. If it's French, let it be French!

From the Varnish to the Arching to the Rib Linings etc, this is a German Bass. The style is beautiful as are the dimensions. Not even the Sound is remotely French so why take the French Style 'upper' Purfling and replaced French Tuners and call it French? I think in professional terms, that would be irresponsible at the least. I have seen too many German Basses, nice ones though, listed by dealers as French Basses from the 19th century for the sole purpose of jacking up the price. That to me is not just irresponsible, it's Criminal!!

I am sure the new owner will love his new Bass. I sure enjoyed working next to it for many Orchestral Concerts and rehearsals. It was always a sound and power to compete with, especially the floor shaking low end.