View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 01:32 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Bass 4 sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cox View Post
Hi Ken, thanks for your reply and thoughts.

No, that listing seems a little overpriced to me - but then, I don't know of the maker or his reputation.

Why I ask is, one of the local Symphony bassists has bought a new bass and has her Reinhold Herold for sale.
It's a decent sounding Bass and appears to be in good shape.
It's somewhat different from the one pictured on the Contrabass Shoppe website.
Different proportions, violin corners, bigger - more of a 7/8 size.
She's asking $17,000.00 Canadian for it.
Since I may be in the market for a Bass I thought it might be worth researching.

The only info I could find on the maker was on the Contrabass Shoppes website and I thought that since there are people on this forum with a ton of reference material, and a lot more knowledge that I, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Good Basses are hard to come by in this part of the world.
Once in a while the local Bass guru ( Jim Ham ) gets one in for restoration and we all go over and drool on it, but other than that.......
Be careful as $17k is not cheap. This is a commercial type generic German Bass. Juzek is on the lower side of the fully carved German shop-Bass scale and Pfretzschner and Morelli are higher up and older usually. This looks to be 20th century to me from what I can see and what I have read. These shop type Basses rarely have dates in them. I would put this on the higher end. Condition is very important as repairs can run more than the value of a bass like this. Sound is key but condition is budget.