View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Look after Cut? (7/06)

Quote:
Member Question; Ken, that mystery bass has a lovely channel around the upper bout. How would that look once it has been cut into?

The deep-set neck sounds like a reversible change, but the cut-down is permanent. My conservative side says - the bass probably has a pedigree, even if unknown, so don't change it irreversibly. Leave the table intact and yeah, cheat the bridge a bit!

Can you post some pix of the back bracing?

The shoulders would look almost the same up at the neck but the edges will loose their curve after they would be trimmed to match the shape of the Ribs. The plan was to cut the Ribs about 2" or less from the corner block area of the upper bout and re-attach the Ribs to the upper Corner block. Then re-trim the Top and Back to match so the upper bout would then be shorter making the string length shorter. With the 'Block Cut' the Ribs might be trimmed about 1/2" up at the Neck and a deeper Neck-set into the Block (or new neck block if needed) would be done. The Back Neck Button would get the most trimming with this method. Cheating the Bridge will only help about 1/2" in the String length. I don't remember if the Bass had a D or Eb neck when I estimated the old string length but it will be a D-Neck. I bought a beautiful piece of Maple with matching curl to the Back about 2 years ago. The gears going in the Bass are English made Baker style but on the modern side.

On the Back Braces, I don't have any Pics now but I will get some next time I am in NY hopefully before the Top goes on. The original lower crossbars were twin rails about 1cm wide and spaced about 2cms apart. The scars of this early gamba style bracing are still visible. I guess the maker thought this would be stronger and lighter for the over 29" (originally) wide lower bout. The Purfling runs off both the upper and lower bouts showing about 1/2" of trimming the width per side was done at some point. I don't know how tall those rails were but at least as tall as the were wide if not more.