View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Opinions.. (7/06)

Quote:
Member Question; It sounds to me like the shoulder cut is the only option that really fixes the problem, the rest only kind of seem to address the problem. You could try the other ideas, but I suspect you'll have the rib cut performed eventually. Not only will it have a more friendly string length, but the shoulders will be a little more accesible. As much as I hate to see such an old bass getting cut up, I would hate it more if no one used it because it was too awkward an intrument. I wouldn't say I'm very qualified to make such a recomendation, but you asked for our opinions...
Yes, I did ask and I like hearing all sides of the argument. That was the reason I posted this in the first place. I know there are 4/4 Basses sold new today with 44" string lengths but I doub't anyone is buying them to play in an Orchestra Professionally.

In my opinion, the only way to make this a playable under 42" SL Bass IS to cut the shoulders and re-bend the Ribs to match the new Top and Back cut/curve. My intention at this point is to do as much as possible to make it playable to a degree so it CAN be Cut in the future if the Bass passes on to someone else. There are some big guys out there and maybe one will knock on my door looking for a Bass like this at the time I decide it's too much for me to handle. That person will appreciate that fact that I didn't cut the Bass. As I stated earlier, it was my only old Orchestral sized bass when I first bought it and I wanted it to be right for me and my hands. Since then I have bought some other Basses that I like better as-is for all around playing. This would become my big Plush Orchestral Bass for when I don't need to play up high and don't need a low C extension either. Just a big fat plush sounding Orchestral bass to play and have fun with. I can manage a SL over 42" for those occassions but prefer not to for my everyday use.

I recently when thru 3 other biggies while this one has been in restoration. The Dodd was big to play but the SL was only 41.5". The Morelli was close to 42.5" and the Prescott just under 42". All three had their challenges to play them. The Morelli was long and slightly big at the shoulders. The Dodd was shaped like a Violin and getting over the shoulders was not so easy for me. the Prescott is just HUGE all around. If I didn't have this Bass, I would probably keep the Prescott but there is only room for one Biggie in my rack. With 2 of the 3 gone, the Prescott will go up to Arnolds shortly and look for a new home to be welcomed in. The Mystery Bass, now believed to be Olde English, will take its place as my 'Big Gun' when the Buffalo come to town so to speak.

I want to make it somewhat playable now and preserve it for those times a big Bass is needed or wanted. Now that my Gilkes is near completion and the Fendt in the wings, I no longer need to cut this bass down to a smaller bass and do the Dragonetti on it. If I can reach the D or and play Ottello or Lt. Kije on it, I will be happy.