View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Block expanded.. (9/07)

I know this Thread stopped suddenly a few days after its start over a year ago but if anyone is interested, I have a slight update. The current Neck Block will remain in the Bass. Biase added a piece to the bottom of the Block to make it deeper in the the upper Bouts. This way, when he cuts the upper Block area, there will be a big enough Block to set the new Neck in.

He will cut about 1" off the Top of the Bass and leave the Block area wider around the Neck and trim the side platforms with Ebony. As you can see from these two pictures, when the Top area is cut, the platform area wont be all the wide.

As far as that raised plate goes on the Back Button, we have already made a new one as well as a matching plate to go across the bottom of the Back. A graft repair was done on the inside as the lower Block area of the Back was messed up. Both plates have a strip running down the center, with the plates book matched to match up with the Back as it has a half inlaid center strip as well.

So, as far as 'The Cut' goes, we have gone with option #3, the Block area only. Originally, we were thinking of cutting the Shoulders and re-shaping them with some slope added. Next, Biase mentioned we should only cut about 2" off the upper Ribs at the Corner Block, lower the upper Rib assembly to the Corner Blocks and then just trim the Top and Back to conform to the Ribs with just a slight lip. Only the Top is purfled so restoring the Purfling is not as much as would be if both plates were purfled. With the Block cut, mainly only the Tips of the Top and a small area below the current neck-set will be removed. The original Purfling will just end at the Block platform. Setting the New neck into the modified Block about an inch deep and with a lower heel will help get the String length reduced to 42" or less. The Shoulders although broad (22" upper bout width), they do have a gentle slope with only 5 3/4" Rib depth at the Neck. After the Block-cut it will be closer to 6 or 6 1/2 wide, still fairly narrow and accessible.

I refer to 'we' only because I have selected some matching wood for the plates, cut them and sent them to Biase. I have also worked closely with him for over 3 years on all the planning of this restoration. However, he is the actual Restorer and not me. It's not business, it's just personal.