View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 01:41 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow Thread Copy..

If you follow the Link to the original TB Thread you will see that I kept this slightly shorter with a few quotes and answers. I cut over 2 pages off of the TB Cut Thread but gave you all the basic 'Meat' of the Topic.

Another thing I did was to leave out the names of the other TB Members posting in response that I quoted just in case they don't want to be mentioned here. I can't imagine why they wouldn't but just to be on the safe side. Being that this is the internet, I am not sure of the 'copyright' laws either. I know what I write is mine so that's no problem copying over my Text. I cut out quite a bit of back and forth from one particular Dealer because it looked a bit to commercial on his part how he posted. I did mention the Names of two people quoted mainly because I know them and they post here regularly.

The bottom line here on the 'Cut' topic was that on a phone conversation I had with Biase in the Spring it looked as if he didn't need to Cut the Block area as he explained to me how he could avoid it with the Neck-Set, Bridge 'Cheat' and Overstand. Around that time I had sent him pictures of how the Block area was to be Cut to achieve the String length along with the other changes that were being made. When I went there in July I saw that he DID actually Cut the Inch off that I had drawn up and even saved the Pieces. One side on the Rib touching the Block had some serious repairs to it. By cutting that inch away, the prior damage in that area was half gone. Again, he did save the two pieces in case I change my mind but the Bass actually looks better now in the Block area than it did before. I am talking with vision here as it was not yet all done up with the Neck in and the Ebony shoulder caps on the Block. When it IS finally done, it will be a beautiful and subtle modification. The String length with the Bridge 'Cheat' will be under 42". That is what I call a success story.

When the Restoration is all done, I will update the Webpage for this Bass with its modifications along with a Link to the 'before' Page and Pics.