Thread: Stump The Chump
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question wings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken McKay View Post
Ok then look at the four plus a P Guarneri of Venice from the same period.

I see differences, smaller wings for example.
You are comparing them by the wings? Look at the graduation of the f-holes themselves as they open or close towards the bottom or top. To me, they are all different including the varnish and varnishing method.

On them being authentic I think Storioni is 'the fall guy' being that his reputation is inconsistencies in his work. This would make him a good target for fraud buy either making a copy or just calling it his work label or not, certificate of not.

Show me an instrument that passes 8 out of 10 'real' judges (not just the dealer selling it) and then, maybe, you have agreement that it is authentic.

The more modern an instrument, the easier it is usually to ID them. The older the maker, the harder. The ones that were consistent are easier to tell if real or fake. Makers like Storioni and Guarnieri del Gesu that were known for these variations in style have fallen more victim to actual frauds than Strad or Maggini which are easier identifiable or easier to be dis-proven.

This is a Bass forum so most of us are unaware of the 1,000s of actual 'good' fakes out there that have fooled the best of judges. Violins made by BF Fendt Jr., Jacob Fendt (his brother, the other 2 brothers), JF Lott Jr. and JB Vuillaume or his shop and others have made many a fake or rather outright Forgeries that at one time or another passed for the real thing. We are lucky that most Basses are easily discarded from the BIG famous names as they either never made a Bass or the few they did make would look entirely different.

Take Prescott for instance. Most of the Basses I have seen in person or in pictures claiming to be a Prescott were not, MOST. Some of them are but most of them are other Yankee makers. On occasion, it's actually a German Bass mis-attributed as a Yankee or Prescott. I use Prescott as an example because it's a famous name amongst American Bass players and growing worldwide as he made mainly only Bass instruments. About 200 or so Double Basses of which I have not a clue how many have survived or are in playable condition as well as about 500 Church Basses or ' slightly awkward over grown Cellos' that are usually just something to 'hang on the wall'.

Anyway, I don't think I can agree that the 4 Violins in that group picture are the same maker or even the same period. That's my opinion from the pictures shown. Perhaps if I had all 4 of them in my hands to compare overall, I would see it another way. Then again, I'm just a bass guy..