View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Regan View Post
You should consider naming it the "Biase Bass" for all the work he has done!
Well, he was the one chosen for this Bass but remember, I have had other Basses brought back to life by Arnold and never named one after him. Jed even has one of my Basses now as well for a full restoration and also one with Nick Lloyd.

The Mystery Bass is the first project I started when I started back playing and the one that has taken so long. This is mainly due to Biase's work time on it. He didn't really want the job or had the time for it but I convinced him to do it as I didn't know anyone else at the time.

Maybe the longer waiting time between steps has helped in the stability, maybe. He mentioned that he glued some of the Rib cracks over and over as they re-cracked as he straightened them out. The Ribs were wavy across the width and warped aya from the Blocks when I got the Bass. Now it looks pretty much flat across them. The Bass lays on either side on the floor nice and flat, even. Like re-bending wood. It takes time till the wood takes. In a case like this, his goal was to get everything back to where it used to be without forcing anything.

The varnish touch up looks beautiful as well. The Bass looks pretty good on the website from before the restoration but it looks way way better now. The Patina is a sight to see in person. I hope the new pictures I take when I update the webpage looks as good on-line as it does in person.