View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool hummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Sheridan View Post
Ken, thanks for your comments.
Regarding English wood I just read a book on the battle of Trafalgar and it contained a lot of information on the techniques and woods used in ship building by the English in the 18th and 19th centuries. I've taken the book back to the library, so right off hand I can't remember the name or the author. However, the author states that the English used so much wood in the making of ships in the 18th century that they had to import wood from Russia, Prussia, the United States and elsewhere. Apparently they used up all of their oak which was the main hardwood used (and of course not used in musical instruments), but they also had to import deal because of it's scarcity.

I read somewhere that most of the maple used by the French in Mirecourt came from the US.
Interesting. I know that at least 2 of my English Basses at have Pine Tops of American wood. The French thing is new to me. I would have suspected a similar source of wood as used by the Germans. Still, wood was a world product so any country could have imported wood at any time. How about the French and German Bows? All imported wood in one form or another.