Thread: 5/8 size
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

It seems to me like the overstand is definitely on the short side, which is something I find quite unpleasant in a bass. If this is the case, I would speculate that the rest of the setup on this bass is less than ideal, and could be altered to make playing more comfortable. In my opinion, string length is not the key to an instrument being harder or easier to play; rather, I find that in some ways a longer length is easier to play assuming the setup is decent. I think "string length" often becomes a scapegoat for "poor setup".

Also, since you say that part of the problem seems to be a neck that is too big, might I suggest finding a teacher who uses a more modern or "alternative" technique, as compared to some of the more traditional approaches? I find that adopting a playing style that incorporates the left hand working with the whole body's weight and movement above the instrument, bearing down into the fingerboard, rather than using a rigid system of "positions" and pressure between the thumb and fingers, not only facilitates better intonation and tone production but allows me to address the aspects of bass-playing that don't agree with the mid/upper back problems I deal with. I think also contacting a body worker might help, or participating in some kind of martial arts; both things I keep meaning to try.

Good luck - I know how difficult it is to play this instrument with not only our basic anatomy, but additional limitations on top of it!