Old 12-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink 100k?..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Carrigan View Post
=====
I prefer 5 strings as shown below.
I'll try again to post audio low notes on my 1820 Abraham Prescott Double Bass Viol.
Click here: http://home.earthlink.net/~prescottviol/SoundFilesMP3/

Choose from the following:
1. Swanee River in C, 1291 KB mp3 format
2. The Elephant in Bb, 4 notes lower than original key 4753 KB mp3 format

By the way, my Prescott is on loan to a major orchestra player while I recover from illness.
No, it is not for sale. However I will return phone calls for offers exceeding $90,000.00 (Ninety Thousand Dollars, Greenback American Type). Or, it might be donated to someone presently in mind. Ahh, make that $100,000.00 cash or certified check.

Don Carrigan, Prescott Data & Photos: http://home.earthlink.net~prescottviol
$100k? Very entertaining as usual Don. I don't think the world is ready to go over 50k for a Prescott yet. The next time you get a solid offer for over $40k (being yours is cut and modified), take the money and Run (or walk if your not up to it physically).

I often have a bass that I love and think the world of. The only problem selling wise is that the rest of the world doesn't always agree. I think my Prescott which was in pristine condition (before and after its restoration) may have fetched a record price for a Gamba model. The sound however was to die for and competed easily with every Italian and English Bass I have ever owned.

On my Post above about thinking about an Ext. on the Pollmann, that thought is a dead issue now as the Bass was sold earlier this year. As far as my preference all around it's either a straight 4-string or one with a Chromatic C-Extension.

I played 6 Christmas concerts in a 2 week period with 3 different Symphony orchestras and one chamber Orchestra. I used the Extension on every concert including a quick moving passage or two. I'm getting the hang of it now.