View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road
Default AMT S25b

I've been using an AMT S25B with a tailpiece mount for a couple of years now and have no complaints with this setup. I currently mix it with a Fishman Full Circle and usually have a mix of roughly 50-50 or maybe 60-40 (AMT to FC). By using this mix I can get plenty of volume for most jobs out of my Series III Coda and still sound "acoustic". On quiet jobs, I sometimes just use the mic alone. I've never had a problem picking up drums or other instruments with the AMT. I position the mic right on the center seam just below the end of the fingerboard. I use a pair of women's hair ties attached to the bridge legs to center the goose-neck and minimize movement of the mic head. With this setup, I have no problem keeping the mic positioned 1/8" or closer to the top. I did not like the AMT stock mounting system that clamps to the bouts. With that setup, you have to attach it for the job and then unattach it when you put on your case. A real pain! I designed the tailpiece mount so that the cord is detachable, but I leave the mic on my bass at all times. I keep the black box (preamp) attached to the top of my Coda with Velcro. I once did an A-B in a recording studio against a vintage Neumann U67. The Neumann did sound better, but the (very experienced) engineer said he thought that I could take the AMT into any studio in the country and wouldn't have to apologize for it.