View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

DPA update: I used the 4021 mic this weekend on a very loud, very live outdoor stage with great success. This is the first time I was able to use it combined with the K&K bassmax piezo through separate channels of the Acoustic Image Coda. The strategy was a little different than I envisioned originally, but I adapted it to the house equipment instead of using my own extension. The problem was impedance matching because there were no 4 ohm speakers available to run as extensions. So instead I ran from the effects send of the DPA channel to the house bass amp, an SWR combo with 15" reflex that was also powering a 4x10 GK cab. The combined output of both channels on the AI went directly to the board post EQ. So the stage sound was mostly mic, the feed to the PA was more piezo. The result was a really clear sound with a lot of punch. I used the notch on both channels to control the most likely feedback frequency. The sound was as loud and feedback free and carried really well considering the audience was spread out over a few acres. With the AI weighing in at 20 lbs., the heaviest thing I had to cart to the stage was my bass.

I did beef up the DPA mount clamp with strips of cork and that worked really well. This whole system has turned out to be extremely versatile and sounds fantastic live either pizzacato or bowed. I got a lot of very positive complements on the sound of the gear from other musicians and even from the sound technicians.

Last edited by David Powell; 09-06-2007 at 11:19 AM.