View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Edge View Post
I do get confused when people speak of "neck relief" on the bass. I assume they are talking about more or less tension from the strings.

Don
Depending on the gauge of strings you go with will determine where the neck will rest with those strings.

Think of relief in the neck using terms concave (inward bow or curvature) and convex (outward bow or curvature). A concave relieved neck will generally mean higher action. A convex relieved neck will generally mean lower action to the point of fret buzz up and down the neck. This is obviously not good. You need to find the appropriate point of neck relief, with the given gauge of stings of your choice, that gives you the action you are looking for within your playing style.

The adjustment to the neck is done with the truss rod. Making small adjustments until you reach the desired relief in the neck, thus, giving you the action you are looking for. Also, each individual bridge saddle is adjusted accordingly and to the radius of the fretboard (see post no. 5 above and the link I provided you for more detail).

When you select the strings of your choice and are happy with them, I would stay with them. Otherwise, be prepared to execute another set-up. If you are not comfortable doing set-ups (i.e. neck adjustments, bridge adjustments, etc.), find someone qualified who is.