View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chris Holsopple is on a distinguished road

When I bought my first Eden set up, I started with a WT800. They were then rated at 425 watts per/ch @ 4 ohms. I was so dissappointed with the output (lack of) I was sure there was something wrong with the head. A few days later I returned it for another one and the new one was no different. So I took a Crest FA901 out of my PA rack and used it for power coming out of the post FX jacks on the WT800. The Crest put the Eden's power section to shame and the Crest was, if I recall correctly, rated at 370 watts per/ch @ 4 ohms. There really was no comparison. I took the WT800 back to the store and left with a Navigator preamp and used the Crest for power. The Crest was cleaner than the Eden power section, as well. A few years ago I upgraded to a Crest LT1000, but when my back started giving me problems, I opted for a QSC PLX 2400, thereby losing 17 lbs from the rack. I have all kinds of headroom, but the low "oomph" just doesn't seem up to par with the Crest. Most guys who use 12's or 10's probably wouldn't notice it, tho (I also use Eden 18's).
EQ wise, the Navi is pretty close to flat, just a slight bump at 140Hz and 6.8kHz, and the low control is boosted slightly. The enhance is strait up at 12 o'clock. On both my Smiths (they do vary slightly) I generally start out with the hi and mid boosted about 3db and leave the low flat or a slight boost and just tune them to the room.
Now if Eden would just make super-lite cabs.... (no, not the Nemesis stuff )