View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Does this Bass look similar?

The Scroll on your Bass looks different. I need to see from the front and check for a neck graft. Your Neck looks to be set into a block rather then sitting flush on the Top. This to me says that it has been modified and possibly replaced totally, scroll and all.

These basses have been known as blockless wonders which you can read more about on this forum here and here. These basses were produced into the early 20th century and I have even seen an old advertisement of them from Wurlitzer in 1922 selling from $90. to $180. for the top model and one with 5-strngs as well at that price. All are advertised as 3/4 models but the string lengths average closer to 43" on some and some at 42". Sears also sold them so there may have been more than one factory making these. The prices included a bow, rosin and fingerboard chart. The top two models were round back. The others I assume were flat. The lowest model possible un-purfled but the 2nd and up were advertised as 'edges are finely inlaid' and ebony fingerboard where the $90 model has no mention of either.

The Sears ad which I also have shows a similar bass with the raised neck block area selling for only $75. and can be purchased with only $7.oo down payment. They are 'Made in Germany' according to the ad. This is from 1937. They also state that it comes with 'Imitation old finish'. This may be why they look older than they are. These are made after the first war and before the 2nd war. Of course in 1937 war was breaking out again but this ad is NOT the introduction to the model. Just an old ad I have a copy of. I think after the war in the late 40s the production of these basses are gone.

The wood of the top, back and sides are thinner than average and helps the sound at first. This also helps them crack faster as well. With prices like these especially at $75-$90, the wood must have been cut the day before it was varnished or not far from it. That also makes basses crack and fall apart.

I have seen many many of these basses and most are in horrible condition. A few however looked half the age of the others. Perhaps these were the more expensive ones with aged timber, what ever aged was back then.

Your bass which is usually called Tirolean (Tyrolean) is more than likely from Germany. I don't know really where these were made as southern Germany is at the tip of the Tirol. Maybe some day we will learn which factory made them. In the south I can only think of Baader, a Mittenwald firm that out produced Neuner & Hornsteiner by far and for cheaper from what I have read.

Call it German Tirol to play it safe.