View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool 15k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Villarreal View Post
Hi Ken:

This is great information, the owner was unsure but he assumed that it was early 1800,s ....i,ll have a luthier check for the block, but it feel like it has one on the sides below the neck.

The instrument sounds very nice, definitely has the the complexity of sound of an old instrument in good day I think is better than a so so Italian. Although it has several repaired cracks , For the past 18 years after its restoration has remained in very good condition with no buzzes or cracks.. I understand putting a price is very difficult without inspecting the bass in person, but would you say 15 k is an average price for a bass as this.

Again i really appreciate your input, tnx a lot,
If the bass is fully blocked, restored to 'Museum quality' and sounds Italian, then yes, maybe! I would need to see it in person to do a full valuation for a real personal opinion. This is just talk! Mine is in repair now and will cost at least that for the repairs alone. For a regular old $100 blockless bass I would say no way. They were made cheap to sound old when new. Make sure the bassbar area has no sinkage. I am having my bass' Top fully pressed out and repaired inside to last a lifetime or more. Mine sounds beautiful as well and that's the reason I bought it and am spending an insane amount fixing it.

Also, this style of building is at least 200 years old so late 1800s is possible. The import dates of the Ads I mentioned above do not necessarily date your exact bass. It could just the the period in which they started buying them for the USA market..