View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Junior Posting Member

Carlos Villarreal is on a distinguished road
Default tyrol"poor man Italian,s".

Hi Ken:

I just check today for the block me and a luthier/bassist friend of mine and YES there is a block there. Not a very big one but there is one. I also called bassmaker David Estrada who did the restoration 18 years ago and told me the block was there already, he just reasembled that part. So most likly as you said it was already blocked and probably had also another neck put in way earlier. This bass was brought from Poland to Mexico 20 years ago, and before that I been told it was stored for around 40 years.

David who did the restoration believes it to be early 1800,s based on his experience with wood oxidation, but again its just his speculation. We also checked the bass bar area and there is no sinkage at all, the Top has a very nice oval shape (bombatura).

Anyhow i just close the deal today and I,m buying it based on its unique dark sound, easiness of respone with the bow, and overall complexity of tone. Most likely I,ll use it for chamber music and at home, NOT for the tours.
Again thanks for your sharing your research on this "Blockless wonders" or "poor man italian,s".