View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Posting Member

Adrian Juras is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I think he means that he pushed the Top out with one of a few methods and added some wood 'inside' to a thin area and 'feather graduated' it in. Sounds like your bass is in good hands and being what I consider 'corrected'. Many of these basses were made thin or thick in area for whatever quick-make way they used.

On my Tirol bass the top will be put in a mold to be corrected and pushed out. The bassbar and cleats removed beforehand and then all re-repaired after the top is back to its correct arch. Wood will be added back to areas that were either made thin in the making originally or thinned by over zealous repairmen down the road. Either way, this is the normal and correct procedure for bringing a bass back to life. I have had many basses repaired in this way. The results were always positive. Give the bass 2-5 years to settle in. Then, it will improved little by little over time with its new wood inside. Like an organ transplant, it taked time for the body to accept its new component.
This is similar what will have to be done to my recently aquired bass. I am looking forward to it, however I am going to continue to play the bass in the short term in its present state(provided nothing changes). This is 2nd Tyrolean I have owned that had an incredibly sweet and dark tone to it. Both of them with thin tops, and the previous one having been restored. Some of these basses are just great!