View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ok..

Here's a few points of Smith Bass history that will shed some light on this subject.

I have tried just about everything to simulate a Fender sound over the years with various Smith basses. The real dilemma is not in the pickups or wiring, it is in the actual construction of the bass. The Fender design has a naturally thinner signal from its woods and construction, period. Mod-up a Fender and you still have a Fender. Mod-up a Smith Bass and you still have a Smith Bass.

We have made our Basses with HB Jazz, 2 PUs, P/J combo and even wired the SBs as single coil once to hear the sound. It was just 'less' guts amplified by the SC PU BUT, it was the sound of the Bass.

We now have a 3-way switch that can be used as a S\SC\P instead of just S/P, but they are not yet in stock. We had a few sets and tested them and most went to Japan where they themselves started putting the 3-ways in on their own.

Still, the SC setting is a Smith bass in SC, NOT the sound of a slab fender, painted production body with a looser neck fit than my shoes.

A Smith is a Smith. When the 3-Way's are available for Mod's or production orders, I will announce it. Until then, just remember it will be a Smith sounding Bass in all 3 positions.

The old Gibson basses has these big humbuckers wired in Series. Does the Smith in Series sound like a Gibson? Ever? .. I think you get the idea now..