View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow yes.. and..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
The proper fix for a broken neck is a neck graft; a new bass, properly made with a good maple neck and thick ebony fingerboard doesn't need any reinforcement to be structurally sound - your post doesn't really make sense.
The Graphite will even the tone out and help your neck stay straight and the FB last longer.

The Basses I am talking about would never get repairs to the the neck other than a temporary fix. That would cheapen and devalue the bass if left that way. These basses I am referring to are in the upper range of mid 5 to 6 figures in price.

I have over 40 years of playing basses and carrying them around. I have bumped and banged my share of basses. Never once did a neck break, with or without graphite. When a bass falls the playing area of the neck is the strongest usually which is also supported by an ebony fingerboard and a thick one if it's my bass. Scroll breaks are far more common than neck breaks and block area breaks are the second most damaged area I see on old basses. It depends on the fall. Graphite is not the problem here, people are.