View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Leonard View Post
Thanks Ken that pretty close to what i was asking. I'm not sure how to clarify what i mean by amount of hair. I guess its more in regards to say ounces of hair; or like a whole hank of hair or most of the hank. Im just being curious about others experiences with what sound difference they notice but you've pretty much answered the question. Sorry to anybody whom my restrictions may have limited as it will always be a combination of things for our instrument (any instrument really) and how the player uses them.
Off to practice for summer pops concert. Cirque de Symphonie
Also remember that Bows themselves vary in width at the Tip and Frog. The width of the ribbon of hair used in a re-hair has to match the width of the Bow. Too much or too little will not work. Like fitting shoes for your feet. Must be the right size. Then, you have to break them in.

With new re-hairs you have to be patient and let the hair and re-hair job as well adjust and break in. With new bows, even more so as the Bow/stick has to mature just like a bass does. Wood is wood and needs its time. Bow hair wears and should be changed out just like strings. Replace as needed.

We all need to practice more. That's what I am doing right now between messages. Just went thru a Bach Cello Suite II with bow and Pizz a few times as a warm up. Then on to the Trout. A few scales and a LOT of doodling in between. Help to break up the boredom. I am more of a live player than a solo practice person so I need whatever it takes to stay focused when alone in a room with a bass.